Tracker

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

It's times like these that I reflect on my beautiful life and thank God for my blessings and gifts. Last week I catered for the Jane Goodall Institute during their annual Crane viewing experience. I cooked for this group over the course of three days including breakfast, lunches and dinners. With each and every catering I learn something new. In this case I learned many new things. I thought you might like to hear about a few... 1. I learned that one should never take their surroundings for granted. Yes, I live in Nebraska and though so many people think this place offers little in the way of culture, I have to disagree. Though I only live an hour from Rowe Sanctuary near Gibbon, NE, I had never been there before this past week. I was asked to come serve breakfast as the sun was coming up. All I can say is that it was a life-changing experience, a spiritual, beautiful, moving experience. These crane only stop a few places along their migration and we are fortunate to have them stop here in Nebraska. If you have never experienced the crane viewing I HIGHLY recommend it. 2. I learned what I am made of, and it's some pretty tough stuff. I had the loveliest group of people imaginable this past week and was happy to do whatever they needed me to do. Having said that, I was tested in every way imaginable and PASSED with flying colors. Just when I wasn't sure if they truly liked my food and were just being kind, they rushed me with hugs (very rare for a group of diners) and told me what a gift I am, that I should continue doing what I am doing because it shows in every dish I make. This group was the answer to any doubt I may have had. 3. I learned that there is a great big world out there and yes, we can all make a difference, even in the small things we do. I listened to Dr. Jane Goodall speak about her wonderful mother nurturing her curiosity as a child to form her into who she has become and that little things such as this can create an impact deep and wide and this world and make it a better place. I also listened to cinematographer Bill Wallauer speak about his amazing life filming all kinds of wildlife and how we can learn so much from animals in their behavior. I plan to look into and participate in their Roots & Shoots program with my children. In doing what I love I am able to take care of those I love. For that, I am incredibly blessed and grateful. Life doesn't get much better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment